Strudel is a national Austrian dessert in the form of a dough roll with various fillings, usually apple. Since autumn in Russia is traditionally distinguished by an abundance of these particular fruits, we propose right now to master this simple recipe, which, as we are sure, will gladly take root in your family.
For the test:
- Flour - 300 g
- Warm water - 150 ml
- Egg - 1 pc.
- Vegetable oil - 3 tbsp. l.
- A pinch of salt
- Raisins - 100 g
- Rum - 2 tbsp. l.
- Breadcrumbs - 3 tbsp. l.
- Vanilla sugar - 10 g
- 4 large apples
- Lemon - 1 pc.
- Chopped nuts - 100 g
- Sugar - 250 g
- Butter - 6 tablespoons l.
- Cinnamon - 1 tsp
- Powdered sugar - 2 tsp
- We start by making the filling. Fill the raisins with rum and leave it for 30 minutes at room temperature. At this time, melt two tablespoons of butter and mix with bread crumbs and vanilla sugar. Then cut the peeled apples into cubes and add the zest of a quarter of a lemon and lemon juice to them.
- Let's start the test. Sift flour, add an egg, two tablespoons of vegetable oil and salt. Knead the dough, gently adding water. Roll the resulting mixture into a ball, grease with vegetable oil, wrap in cling film and put in heat for an hour.
- After an hour, gently roll out the dough. Then evenly and carefully stretch in different directions. The resulting thin layer (as thin as you can get it; make sure that the dough does not break) spread out on a convenient floured surface and brush with melted butter.
- On the longer side of the dough, place the mixture of bread crumbs and vanilla sugar, stepping back from the edge so that this piece of dough can cover the filling. Top - apples, sprinkle with raisins, then chopped nuts, cinnamon and sugar. Raise the edge of the dough closest to the filling and cover it along the entire length. Then continue to roll the strudel into a roll so that the filling is wrapped in several layers of dough.
- Grease a baking sheet with melted butter. Lay out strudel, seam side down. Grease the roll with melted butter.
- Bake the strudel for 30–40 minutes in an oven preheated to 175 ° С.
- Serve the strudel after it has cooled slightly. Cut it into portions, sprinkle with powdered sugar and accompany with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Photo: Getty Images
- Fall Recipes: Pumpkin Cream Soup
- 10 reasons why you need to eat apples
- King Abdullah and his Rania: an oriental tale that has come true