Squats, push-ups, presses and deadlifts can work different muscle groups, but the skin does work every second of any of the above exercises. And such "hard work" should be encouraged by the most careful care.
General points: leather and sports
“At the end of a workout, a lot of endorphins (hormones of joy) are released. Cellular metabolism begins to occur more actively even at rest, so regular exercise helps prevent aging of the body and skin, in particular. Thus, all of the above processes lead to the transition of the body to the mode of "youth", - comments Evgenia Ikonnikova, a dermatologist at the Moscow Institute of Plastic Surgery and Cosmetology on Olkhovskaya Street, with whom we discussed all the subtleties of using cosmetics before, during and after the workout.
Sport frees your cover of - literally - accumulated "garbage". Bottom line: it freshens up, and with regular exercise, it includes a truly beneficial "youth extension" regimen.
True, in order for this biological process to work without failures and stutters, it is worthwhile to clearly understand where you can harm or help it - both with care and decorative cosmetics. Further - about all the subtleties and in order.
Ideally, a facial cleanser followed by a toner should be used to properly prepare your skin for your workout. Practice shows that a competent five-minute cleansing is a great luxury for most modern women, so we take a tonic for a minimum, as well as an option from our expert: “express makeup remover with cleansing wipes or milk to remove makeup” (see also: “Wet wipes for makeup remover and purification: is it possible or not ").
But using a moisturizer just before the workout, despite the urgent need for this item in your beauty plan, is not at all necessary and even undesirable. An excess layer of fat on the surface of the skin will clog pores within 10 minutes from the start of your workout. However, in case you don't feel like skipping it even before going to sports, choose a product that has a light, non-greasy texture and is marked “non-comedogenic” on the label (comedogenicity is a scientific term that defines a cosmetic's ability to clog pores: before training, this effect is your skin is definitely useless).
During training, the skin vessels dilate significantly, contributing to facial redness. The sweat and sebaceous glands begin to work in an active mode for effective regulation of body temperature control,”says Evgenia. All in all, your skin is becoming a multi-secret express producer. Covering this "laboratory" with a marathon of a thick layer of decorative cosmetics is fraught with a kind of "greenhouse effect".
“The skin must be clean, because the applied foundation, blush or powder will mix with the abundant secretion of sweat and sebaceous glands, as a result of which the decorative function of the make-up will be lost. There is also a risk of the problem of clogged pores and subsequent inflammatory breakouts."
However, if your makeup-free reflection in the mirror causes demotivation in the middle of your workout, then the athleisure make-up trend is for you. Manufacturers of products in this segment guarantee that water-resistant shadows and mascara or foundation applied before the workout will remain on your face in its original "form" until the end of the workout. Our expert offers long-lasting eye makeup, and in case of problem skin, a spot corrector, but wouldn't it be better to make yourself and your skin more pleasant and healthier by leaving it makeup-free?
There is only one exceptional case where applying an additional training product can have a downright positive effect: open space classes. "If the sessions are held in the open sun, it is recommended to apply a sunscreen fluid to previously cleansed skin." In this case, remember about perspiration-resistant sunscreen, regardless of the season: ultraviolet light is harmful both in the middle of winter and at the height of summer.
Cosmetics for your workout - expert beauty tips:
- Sweating: “1-2 hours before training, it is recommended to treat clean, dry underarms with an antiperspirant based on alum. For a longer lasting effect, products based on aluminum salts are suitable. But the most effective and long-lasting result is provided by botulinum toxin injections. Sweating will not bother you for at least several months”;
- Weight loss: "If the goal of doing sports is to lose weight, an excellent help to improve blood circulation, tone and quality of the skin in problem areas is the use of special creams with powerful lymphatic drainage and decongestant effects";
- Moisturizing: “We recommend using a thermal water spray to soothe, moisturize and cool the skin during exercise”;
Your post-exercise well-being due to the release of endorphins does not always extend to your skin. Sweat drips down your face, which has undergone multiple contact with bodybars, dumbbells and a rug (to put it mildly, not always crystal clear). The variations can be very different, but the post-workout skin cleaning ritual (see also: “5 foods to forget about after training”) is the only one and really necessary.
Wipe your face with a mild cleanser, toner, then apply a non-comedogenic moisturizer and finish off with a sunscreen. It is better to start cleansing the skin until the moment when it completely cools down and the pores close along with all the excretion released during training. Admitting this is an oversight that can result in skin rashes and, most unpleasantly, acne.
Post Workout Cosmetics - Expert Beauty Tips:
- “After training, you should definitely wash and take a shower. Means with menthol will quickly cool the skin and give vigor”;
- "A soothing facial toner effectively restores the acid-base balance of the face (pH) and prepares it for the application of a moisturizer";
- “If after training your skin is prone to severe and prolonged redness, you should use light serums and creams for sensitive, irritated and reactive skin. Their special ingredients will quickly shrink blood vessels and eliminate redness. "
And a little about the rules of fitness hygiene:
The pleasure of training can be spoiled not only by improper skin care, but also by non-compliance with a number of simple, but hygienically correct rules:
- Remember to wash your hands as often as possible;
- Wipe the contact area with an antibacterial agent;
- Do not touch your face unnecessarily;
- After workout, wash your hands first and only then face;
- Check moisturizers carefully for fragrances and preservatives.
Photo: Getty Images
- "How to do fitness in the office?"
- From fitness trainers to princes: 8 facts about Daniel Westling, wife of Crown Princess Victoria
- 10 times Jennifer Lopez was almost naked on the red carpet
- Why Diana loved to eat at the round table, and other eating habits of the Princess of Wales