Music as a cure
We hear music almost every day: on the radio, in the car, in headphones, when we go to work, even in the subway now plays classics or music from everyone's favorite Soviet films. Have we ever thought that music is not only a source of pleasure, but also a real doctor who can save us from a lot of problems?
By the way, Pythagoras was the first to come up with the idea of the healing properties of music. The philosopher argued that music obeys a higher law (mathematics) and, as a result, is able to restore harmony in the human body. Legend has it that once Pythagoras even managed to calm down an angry man with the help of music, who, in a fit of jealousy, was trying to burn down the house, while none of his relatives could stop him. And the ancient Greek physician Hippocrates treated insomnia and epilepsy with music.
As for the present, today the techniques of music therapy are also quite widely known and have been successfully practiced for more than a dozen years. Today there are two types of music therapy, active and passive.
- With passive music therapy, the patient is only offered to listen to various musical compositions that correspond to his mental health and the stage of treatment, that is, in other words, to have fun, relax and recharge with energy and good mood for a while, go back to do his own thing.
- Active music therapy will keep you from sitting idly by. The main principle of this type of treatment is to force the patient to take part in the performance of music: playing musical instruments, singing, beating with his foot or clapping his hands.
What music is healing
For the most part, classical musical compositions have healing properties.
- So, for example, to cheer it up, it is advisable to listen to Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's Rondo in Turkish Style, Habanera from Georges Bizet's Carmen, or the Triumphal March from Aida by Giuseppe Verdi.
- The Ave Maria by Franz Schubert and Lullaby by Johannes Brahms contribute to getting rid of unpleasant memories.
- If you suffer from lack of sleep, concerts and sonatas by Antonio Vivaldi, serenades by Franz Schubert will come to your aid.
- You will be filled with a feeling of morning freshness by Richard Strauss's Morning Mood, Edward Grieg's Morning Mood, Claude Debussy's The Sea symphonic sketch, Olivier Messiaen's Awakening of Birds.
- In case of sleep disturbances, the "Plays" by Pyotr Tchaikovsky, "Melody" by Christoph Gluck, "Dreams" by Robert Schumann and "Sad Waltz" by Jan Sibelius will help.
- Migraine will help overcome "Humoresques" by Antonin Dvorak and George Gershwin, "Spring Song" by Felix Mendelssohn.
- Emotional overload headache will go away when listening to Mozart's works. This composer as a healer should be discussed separately. There is nothing magical about the positive effect of the maestro's works, it's all about the tempo-rhythm. Mozart's plays maintain a 30-second "loud-quiet" interval, and it exactly corresponds to the nature of the biocurrents of the human brain, that's the whole answer.
But, by the way, not only the classics have magical properties. There are quite a number of well-known works that will help you forget about the minor flaws of the body. In case of overwork, it is worth putting on discs with recordings of Elvis Presley, Louis Armstrong or Duke Wellington.
What are musical instruments responsible for?
Experts say that not only composer works, but also individual musical instruments help to improve your well-being.
- Harp harmoniously affects the work of the heart.
- The drum also helps a sick heart to normalize the rhythm and heals the cardiovascular system.
- The violin is a real antidepressant, much better than many modern pills, besides, the violin is also responsible for the healthy functioning of the spine.
- The piano normalizes the thyroid gland.
- A person's sexual energy is activated to the sound of a saxophone.
How to really listen to music
Here your own flair, intuition, is of great importance. It may well guide you when choosing a piece of music that you are going to use as a medicine. If, for example, a melody that helps to raise the mood of others, takes away your strength, do not rush to listen to it, find an alternative to the piece of music.
The best option for listening to music is a calm environment - it is best to completely relax and close your eyes. Do not forget about adjusting the sound: even stimulating music should not be turned on at full volume, this approach is fundamentally wrong, and would rather harm your body than help, and in general, as in any matter when listening to music, it is important to know when to stop: if you listen to symphonies Beethoven for more than an hour, the effect may be the opposite. Such listening not only will not relax, but can provoke fatigue and irritation. Remember, ten minutes is enough for one session.
Photo source: Getty images
- Latin Pop Legend: Shakira's Top 5 Videos
- Watch and listen: 8 best songs by Dua Lipa
- 10 French musicals you can watch online
- Osteopath's advice: 7 ways to relieve headaches without pills (with video)