Before proposing ways to solve a problem such as scoliosis, it is necessary to clarify its origin, that is, to understand why such a deformation occurs. Traditionally, scoliosis is considered a persistent lateral deviation from the normal straight spine. Moreover, the main causes of scoliosis are most often associated exclusively with the spine.
However, it is wrong to believe that something in the human body can work independently of all other parts. The body is an indivisible whole, so scoliosis is a whole body problem. The spine is connected from above to the skull, and from below to the sacrum. But these are not barriers, but places of strong connection. In fact, scoliosis starts at the crown of the head and ends at the feet and fingertips.
It is generally accepted that scoliosis develops due to improper posture at the desk or due to the fact that the child carries a briefcase on one shoulder, while the real cause of scoliosis may lie in the birth trauma that the baby receives while passing through the birth canal during the time of childbirth, if the mother's pelvis is curved (like most women in labor).
The skull is deformed, while the occipital and basal bones are in an incorrect position. The first cervical vertebra is adjusted to this deformation, and all the rest along the chain - up to the sacrum and below: the bones of the pelvis, hips, legs and feet are unfolded. Along with this, a person "receives" a full set of associated deformities - flat feet, different lengths of legs, a skewed pelvis.
Scoliosis can be treated only through elimination of the consequences of birth trauma: it is necessary to restore the correct position of the skull bones so that the entire musculoskeletal system does not have to "take a bad example" and adjust to the new "norm". Scoliosis can be cured at a very early age, ideally in infancy, when the bones of the baby's skull are mobile and the position is relatively easy to correct.
Before puberty, an osteopath can make a difference. When the body is already formed, it is no longer possible to completely eliminate scoliosis, since the entire body, including bones, has already grown, adjusting to the original curvature of the skeleton. Despite this, osteopathic treatment significantly improves the condition of the adult patient.
How to improve your life if you have scoliosis?
- The most effective treatment option is to see an osteopathic doctor who works with the deformation of the skull base - the cause of scoliosis - and restores the correct position of the bones.
- Swimming. This is one of the most useful and safe physical activities, which is recommended for scoliosis and body asymmetry. This is a very effective measure, since it is swimming that loads the body symmetrically. To swim in a straight line, you will have to use both arms and legs with equal strength and strain the muscles of both halves of the body. This is important for scoliosis.
- Yoga with an experienced instructor. Many experts oppose the independent development of this discipline. If you are inexperienced and have curvatures in your body, it is important that all exercises are performed under the supervision and guidance of an experienced instructor. You need to listen carefully to your body so as not to exceed its capabilities (also read: "5 Tips to Make Your Fitness Workout Easier").
It is also very important not to aggravate your condition.
- First, it is necessary to monitor the posture, that is, the ergonomics of the workplace. Pay attention to symmetry: the body should not be twisted while working or studying.
- Do not carry backpacks or other weights on one shoulder. Two straps - two shoulders. The load on both halves of the body should be symmetrical. The body already has enough curvature - do not add unnecessary problems.
- And be sure to give your body physical activity. Walk more, swim more, do whatever sports you like.
About the author:
Photo: Getty Images
- Keep it straight: how the spine relates to our health and emotions
- Yoga for Workaholics: 5 Simple Asanas to Relieve Back Pain
- Morning exercise for busy or lazy
- Why are slippers dangerous, and what should be summer shoes