“I can’t learn how to use hair oil: I applied it to both wet and dry hair ─ the head looks greasy and unkempt as a result. And a friend praises him ─ says she has a must-have for winter and after vacation. What am I doing wrong? Or is the oil only suitable for certain hair types? How to use it correctly?"
Valeria (27 years old)
Let's start with why you need oil at all. The main function of hair oil is nutrition. There is a lipid layer on the surface of the hair, and when its integrity is broken, the hair quickly becomes dry, and this is the first step to damage to the structure. The oils restore the protective layer, the hair becomes elastic, smooth, and easy to comb.
What problems does it help to solve during the winter season?
In winter, hair becomes especially dry due to the frosty air and low indoor humidity. Strong static stress is generated, and the oil relieves it perfectly.
What hair is hair oil suitable for?
For any, you just need to choose it wisely and use it so that it does not weigh down your hair. The main thing:
- Don't be afraid of synthetic oils. As a rule, this is a combination of dimethicone (silicones) and natural oils (argan, marula, shea ─ everything that the manufacturer indicates on the package). This is not a hoax and not a desire for the brand to save money ─ just such products are lighter in texture and not as viscous as 100% natural oils.
- Add oil to other foods to make it less noticeable on your hair. For example, in a mask to enhance its nutritional properties, or in a heat protection cream. You can also apply the oil to your hair before shampooing.
- Choose products in spray form - they are easier to dose.
- If the oil is viscous, do not apply it to dry hair. It is better to use it on wet ones: while drying with a hair dryer, some of the conditioning substances will evaporate.
Does hair oil differ by type - for dry, oily, damaged, natural?
First of all, do not forget that there is no oily hair - the scalp can be oily. To eliminate excess grease, essential oils of tea tree and rosemary are suitable, which give an antiseptic effect. Castor, olive, coconut, palm, jojoba, avocado, apply to scalp and lengthwise before washing to nourish and reduce dryness. As for split ends, all oils serve only a nourishing function, and none can restore damaged hair.
Multifunctional oil care Elixir Ultime ─ limited edition Tattoo, Kérastase
How to use correctly (dosage and where / how to apply)?
There is no single recipe for dosage of oil: it all depends on its consistency, thickness and thickness of hair. The best option: select the product and dosage together with your master. And if you choose the product yourself and do not want to overdo it, use it not mono, but in combination with other products.
Now there are several options for using the product. Apply hair oil 20 minutes before washing to nourish and protect hair. Add to mask to enhance its nutritional benefits. The classic is to apply oil to damp hair for shine and suppleness. It is important to remember here that if you wash your hair every day, you can use the oil daily, and when less often, it is better not to frequent it. Finally, you can apply the oil to dry hair to relieve static and add a finish.
Photo: Getty Images, press archives
- Princesses also have hair problems (learning from their mistakes)
- 5 things you shouldn't do with wet hair
- Princess Diana's legendary haircut: the story of one of the most fashionable phenomena of the century
- 5 bad habits that cause eyelashes to fall out