In reality, any disturbance in the body leads to dry lips, cracks and peeling. The skin in this area is quite thin and sensitive and is characterized by an almost complete absence of sebaceous glands, so it is difficult for it to withstand weather factors and internal problems. Dermatologist, cosmetologist, plastic surgeon Madina Bayramukova talks about the main ones.
External factors causing dry lips
Those who like to bite their lips and regularly lick them are always at risk, since human saliva contains substances that dry out the skin. The effect of dryness can also be obtained after eating very spicy or salty food, which greatly irritates the mucous membrane. In this case, you can make it a rule to use a napkin or rinse your lips after eating.
It is no less harmful for lips to sunbathe in direct sunlight without a special agent containing SPF. Exposure to the sun not only leads to dry and flaky lips, but also often causes the so-called solar herpes. To avoid problems with your lips in summer and winter, do not forget about using a balm or hygienic lipstick before going outside.
Health problems associated with dry lips
Dry lips may appear against the background of ARVI. Typically, this symptom appears after the fever subsides. Its cause is dehydration and decreased immunity.
Dry lips can also signal a lack of water in the body. Therefore, no matter how much you use a moisturizing balm, it will not help you restore balance. Remember to check if you are consuming enough plain, still water.
Also, the condition of the lips is not influenced in the best way by such factors as impaired absorption of vitamins and elementary vitamin deficiency. Due to a lack of vitamins, in particular vitamin B12 and iron, painful cracks may appear in the corners of the lips.
Allergies to certain foods or medications can also lead to dry lips and irritation at the corners of the mouth. Renal dysfunction and hormonal imbalances, in particular hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism, diabetes mellitus, can also cause dry and flaky lips (see also: "Hormonal imbalance: how to recognize and prevent it").
- Daily care with moisturizing and nourishing balms with natural ingredients and vitamin E will help to get rid of dry lips. Dryness is caused by such components in the composition of products as synthetic wax, petrolatum, paraffinum liquidum. It is better to give preference to beauty products containing natural waxes and oils, for example, jojoba, peanuts, etc.
- Drink plenty of water and get rid of the habit of biting and licking your lips, especially when you are outdoors.
- You can put your lips in order with the help of folk remedies - honey and olive oil. And if there is nothing suitable at hand, you can use an ophthalmologically tested eye cream. But keep in mind that eye gels are not suitable for this purpose.
About the expert:
Photo: Getty Images
- 6 Reasons Why Nourishing Lip Balms Dry Skin Even More
- How to improve lip shape without fillers and injections at any age
- How to choose a lipstick to match your skin tone: step by step instructions
- Like two drops: star daughters who are very similar to their mothers