Mentoplasty (from Latin mento - chin) is a surgical correction of the shape, size and contours of the chin zone, which in recent years has confidently entered the top of the most popular aesthetic operations. The most useful information about mentoplasty was shared with us by a plastic surgeon, winner of the "Crystal Lotus-2019" award, author of the "French cheeks" and "Ideal mother" techniques, Dmitry Skvortsov.
To whom and why?
Mentoplasty allows you to improve the oval of the face, achieve a balance of proportions and, as a "bonus" - get the effect of visual rejuvenation.
The operation is relevant for those who are familiar with such problems as:
- lack of volume and angle of projection of the chin zone;
- underdeveloped, "sloping" or, on the contrary, massive, "heavy" chin protruding forward;
- congenital defects and asymmetry of the chin;
- deformities after injuries;
- age-related "sliding" of tissues down, "flew", double chin.
Before the operation, the patient undergoes examination and passes a series of tests. Mentoplasty should not be performed in the presence of both general contraindications to surgical intervention and inflammatory processes in the affected area, in particular, on the skin and in the oral cavity.
Types of mentoplasty
There are several types of chin correction, and the choice of one of them depends on the initial goals of the intervention and the characteristics of the patient's anatomy. Most modern clinics offer a 3D modeling service that allows you to predict in detail the desired result already during the first consultation.
Augmentation mentoplasty involves the use of implants.
- Silicone inserts are inserted through a small incision into a "pocket" under the periosteum, which is prepared before insertion.
- Polypropylene implants have a perforated structure, are overgrown with tissue fibers and reliably take root over time. The design retains the expressive and natural contours of the chin for a long time.
Bioimplants from the patient's own tissue are formed from the cartilage of the ear or nose with simultaneous rhinoplasty, but this practice is used less often due to the trauma.
When the chin is augmented with bone tissue, part of the chin protrusion is pushed forward by osteotomy.
Reducing mentoplasty is performed by:
- removal of the bone part through its dissection and displacement of the "excess" back;
- bone structure resurfacing;
- liposuction through the thinnest cannulas;
- the introduction of lipolytics that break down fat deposits.
In this case, access is carried out through:
- oral mucosa - the operation goes without a trace, but there is a risk of infection through the flora of the mouth,
or the external chin fold - the risk of infection is much lower, but a visible scar remains on the fold.
Injections: pros and cons
For less radical changes, there is an alternative - correction with fillers or lipofilling (filling the missing volume with injections of the patient's own fat).
Hyaluronic acid injections are the safest way to correct the projection of the chin. But, alas, hyaluron tends to dissolve: to maintain the result, you will have to repeat the procedure every year, which is fraught with stretching the "pocket" (read also: "Beauty-examination: is hyaluronic acid safe").
After injections of radiesse, a preparation based on synthetic calcium hydroxyapatite, the result lasts longer, but the gel does not always dissolve properly, which causes tissue fibrosis and requires surgical removal.
Injection procedures are almost painless and do not require long rehabilitation, but it is important to remember: any filler can get into the vessel and cause its blockage, cause infection and deformation of the relief, therefore, injections should only be performed by a qualified specialist.
Injections are, in general, an excellent option for those who dream of a “new” chin, but still doubt the need for operative mentoplasty. And although the effect of fillers does not last long, this time is more than enough to understand whether you are ready for a serious surgery for the sake of transformation (see also: "4 questions to ask yourself before plastic surgery").
How is rehabilitation going?
The recovery process depends on the amount of surgery and the patient's health. During endoprosthetics (implantation), the tissues are injured, therefore, visible swelling and discomfort in the suture area persists for up to 2-4 weeks. The stitches are removed after 5-7 days.
After mentoplasty, you will have to forget about physical activity, thermal procedures and solid food for a while, do not sleep with your face in a pillow and do not touch your chin. To speed up recovery and reduce painful sensations, the doctor prescribes physiotherapy, pain relievers, lymphatic drainage and antihistamines.
Compliance with the recommendations of a specialist will facilitate the rehabilitation process, minimize the risk of complications and maintain an ideal profile for many years.
About the expert:
Dmitry Sergeevich Skvortsov
Photo: Getty Images
- Fighting a double chin: how to achieve a clear face contour
- Operation Fox Eyes: How to Get Bella Hadid's Look
- Turning the wrong way: the stars whose career was destroyed by plastic
- Models that changed the way we think about beauty