The problem of thinning hair and split ends is becoming more acute as the summer comes to an end. The sun, salt water from the sea, chlorinated water from the pool, high humidity and a pleasant refreshing breeze slowly kill our hair, we literally feel our hair "dry".
Don't believe me? Take a strand and examine how it should - the ends of the hairs bifurcate, resembling the tongue of a lizard. These are split ends (yes, this term is not an advertising horror story at all). Split ends mean hair breaks easily, gets tangled and looks dull and "tired". In this case, it is problematic both to wear the hair loosely and to collect it in a decent ponytail ─ the tips sticking out like dry straw make almost any styling not ideal at all. There are two ways to solve the split-end problem: fix it and prevent it from happening again.
- Cut your hair once every 1-2 months, shortening it to 3.5 cm. Yes, this is a lot, especially for those who care about hair length, but preferring length to quality is fraught with even more damage.
- Reduce exposure of hair to thermal devices. The iron, tongs and hairdryer heat the hair up to 200 degrees Celsius, drying it out. If you are used to styling regularly, don't forget to use thermal protectors!
- Comb your hair before showering to reduce the risk of tangling and breakage when wet. Apply shampoo to the crown of the head and gently blend downward, keeping the hair mostly straight and zigzagging your fingers along the entire length.
- Try not to brush your hair while it is wet. This can be difficult, especially if you are in a hurry. But when the action becomes a habit, the hair will feel much happier.
- Moisturize your hair - after high temperatures and active styling, it needs an extra dose of moisture. Use the mask at least once a week and try myst express moisturizers.
- Use two types of conditioner. One ─ rinsed off immediately after using the shampoo in the shower (it will close the hair scales, prevent moisture loss and facilitate combing), the second ─ indelible during drying or styling (it will ensure the health of each hair throughout the day ─ nourish, moisturize and protect).
- Seek help from a split-end remedy and find the best one that works for your particular case.
Photo: Getty Images, press archives
- 3 reasons why women turn gray sooner (and how to stop it)
- Chameleon Woman: 70 Katy Perry Hairstyles
- 10 ways to make lashes thicker and longer
- "What to do when the skin on the face peels off?"